Sunday, December 11, 2016

5 Unexpected things I'm grateful for as a mom and wife

Mom2MomEd Blog:  5 Unexpected things I'm grateful for as a mom and wife
Tis the season to be thankful, full of love, and surrounded by family more than ever! 

I love scrolling through social media and seeing everyone's beaming faces and happy families! I also love hearing about your adventures, seeing your kids grow up, and watching you precariously place your Elf on the Shelf in the craziest of places.

I also know that, despite your smiles, you are tired too. Your house isn't always as pretty as it was in that Pinterest perfect moment, and maybe that's why you took a second to snap the picture.

I know that you are up late with your kids when they have school functions and then up early the next day to get them back to school.
I know that you don't have enough time for yourself because you give all of yourself every single day without fail to your family and friends.

I know you....because I too am doing the same.

Lately, I have been thinking about all of things that I have to be thankful for in my life, and this year they feel a little different. My family has undergone some major transformations this year.

We're different.

We're in school, we're growing up, we're changing jobs, dealing with health issues, getting more organized, and yet barely holding it together at times.

It's funny how those times when it seems like the tides are turning are also the times that we learn the most about ourselves and what we really need.

While I'm thankful for my family and friends and my home, I also realized how important and thankful I am for some more unexpected parts of my life.

Here are 5 of the unconventional things that I am most thankful for this year:

1. Random acts of kindness--doing them and being on the receiving end.
I must have been sending out some signals to the coffee gods because on two occasions, almost back-to-back, I was sitting in the drive thru of Starbucks, prepared to pay for my drink, only to find out that the the person ahead of me had already paid for my coffee (AKA: mom-fuel!). Those two moments happened to be on days that I really needed my coffee and a mental pick me up. They were perfect and made me realize how much we're all connected and that a small, random act of kindness can really can make a difference in someone's day. Even better, I was able to pay it forward and treat the person behind me as well. I wonder how long the chain lasted...

2. A really good dryer.
Yep, you read that right. While I admittedly hate laundry, I am super duper grateful for my working dryer. I've never had a good one, and the last one we had needed to be kicked in a certain spot and jiggled just right to keep the heating element working properly. Finally, one day, it just gave out. I cannot even tell you how frustrating it was not having a dryer with two kids who love mud and a husband who wore a uniform to work every day--can you say constant laundry? Almost right away, we got a call that my parents' neighbors were getting rid of a perfectly good top of the line dryer and did we want it? The only reason they were getting rid of it was because their washer died and they wanted to make sure they had a matching set. Score! It makes a huge difference when you actually have a working dryer!

3. Rainy days.
Not only do we need the rain here in California, but I love how it sort of forces you to stop and take a breather. I love days where we can stay in our pajamas, watch movies, read, and drink hot chocolate. Those lazy days are about so much more than just relaxing or getting out of other responsibilities. They allow me to refocus on hobbies and interests I often don't have time for (like reading) and to spend more focused time with my family since we are all cooped up inside together.

4. My bullmastiff.
I am a dog lover and have strong feelings about how owners should treat their pets--your pets are just like members of your family. Our bullmastiff has been the best dog we could have ever hoped for when it comes to our kids. He also got me through a very hard time when I lost my first fur baby, and he has been by my side as I brought both of my human babies home from the hospital. He's gotten up with me every night when I had to feed and change them. He's been on both of their first walks, first bike rides, first hikes, and first camping trips. He lays in bed with me when my husband is out of town and keeps me company. All of the looks and comments I get about having a 150-pound dog just make me laugh. He is such a baby and couldn't be any more special to our family.

5. The internet.
I know, how could we live without it? You wouldn't be reading this blog right now if it weren't for the internet. I am thankful for it because of the information that is always at my fingertips. My kids wanted to make caramel corn the other day and boom......I found a recipe. We look up all kinds of things, including how to draw animals, videos of people taking care of lizards, craft ideas, and so on. I am still amazed at how awesome the internet is! I didn't grow up with a computer in my house, and when my parents finally did get one, no one really knew how to use it. The difference between technology when I was growing up and technology available to my children is simply amazing!

What are some unexpected or unconventional things that you are thankful for? Share in a comment and let us know!
Did you enjoy this post? Check out these additional great articles:
http://mom2momed.blogspot.com/2016/07/parenting-my-spirited-child-can-you.html

http://mom2momed.blogspot.com/2016/07/5-self-care-ideas-for-busy-moms.html

http://mom2momed.blogspot.com/2016/11/20-ways-to-treat-your-fellow-moms.html

No comments:

Post a Comment